Red Flags in Home Buying on The Main Line are the Things To Look Out For When Viewing A House, before an inspection or an offer is made.
When you view a home for sale, you certainly want to make sure it meets your family’s wants and needs. For example, does it have all the bedrooms you need and central air? Is there enough storage? Does it have an open floor plan? But that’s just the first step.
It’s equally important to have a checklist that focuses on red flags. Here are some potential problems to look ut for as you view homes.
Foundation issues could create costly repairs down the road and even be a safety hazard. Here are some signs of a potential foundation problem. Windows – Are they hard to open?
- Floors or staircases – Are they uneven?
- Drywall – Are there any small cracks?
- Wall seams and ceilings – Are there any gaps?
- Exterior concrete – Are there any large cracks?
- Hazardous Materials – If it’s an older home, be sure to ask questions about asbestos or lead paint.
Water Damage can be very destructive, so it should be at the top of your list of things to look out for when buying a house. It can cause mold in drywall and carpets as well as damage to the floors. Mold can also lead to health problems. Here’s what to check as you tour the home:
- Unpleasant musty smells? Check the basement, garage, and bathrooms in particular.
- Water run-off – Where is the water flowing? Do the gutters work? Does the ground slope away from the house? Visit the home after a rainstorm to see any potential problems.
- Leaks – Turn the faucets on and off. Does the water keep dripping?
- Water stains – Are there discolorations on the walls, ceilings, door frames, or floors? In the basement are storage items propped up a few inches? This could be a red flag.
- The roof –What is the age of the roof? Are the shingles loose or discolored?
While these tips won’t replace a professional home inspection, you’ll have a much better sense of whether the home is likely to require costly repairs or pose any safety hazards. Having this knowledge, you can decide what’s best for you – walking away or making an offer. We specialize Gladwyne PA 19035, Bryn Mawr PA 19010, Wayne Pa 19087 and Haverford PA 19041, Villanova 19085 to just name a few Main Line towns. We can offer advice and expertise every step of the way. Kimmy Rolph Sells the Main Line and local areas.